Ph.D. PROGRAMS IN PUBLIC LAW AND PRIVATE LAW
We are very pleased to announce that Koç University is now accepting applications for Doctoral Programs in Public Law and Private Law.
PhD in law programs offer a structured research framework in national, comparative and international legal studies with its commitment to cutting edge research. Its unique approach with strong focus on research skills and bilingual coursework (Turkish-English) prepares the candidates for sincere legal scholarship under close supervision of leading scholars in an intellectual environment dedicated to excellence in research and teaching.
Our fully funded four-year Ph.D. program is an excellent opportunity for scholars interested in pursuing doctoral studies in law.
- BA Degree from Law Department – A minimum GPA of 3,00/ 4,00
- MA/LL.M. Degree – A minimum GPA of 3,00/4,00
- ALES: (for native applicants) minimum 70 from EW (Equally Weighted) or GRE: Minimum 154 (Quantitative/Qualitative) .
- English Proficiency: YDS (80) / TOEFL IBT(80) *For Turkish applicants YDS test score is accepted. Equivalent test scores from The Council of Higher Education Foreign Language Examination (YÖKDİL) will also be accepted for applications made in accordance with these additional terms.
- A research proposal (The proposal should outline the project that you wish to pursue in your PhD dissertation. It must be written in English or Turkish and must be no longer than 2500 words including footnotes, references and bibliography).
- A letter of intent ( 1000-2000 words)
- Successful performance in a written exam and interview
- Applicants will only be invited to take the interview and the written exam if their research proposals are found successful by the evaluation committee
Koç Law School Priorities for PhD Research Areas:
Freedom of expression
Comparative constitutional review
Women’s human rights
Parliamentary studies in comparative context
International human rights law with focus on socio-economic rights, gender equality
Presidentialism in comparative context
Law and politics
|Law of Criminal Procedure
General Principles of Criminal Law
|Public international law projects focusing on theories and sources of international law, law on the use of force, regime interaction and interactions between sub branches of international law, Turkish approaches to international law
|International Human Rights Law Projects focusing on the jurisprudence of the European Court of Human Rights and UN Treaty bodies, comparative human rights law, margin of appreciation, the interplay between human rights law and constitutional law, reception and implementation of human rights law in domestic contexts, and backlash against International Human Rights Law.
|Private international Law, conflict of laws, international jurisdiction, international procedural law, arbitration, dispute resolution, asylum law, investment law, international transportation law, mediation
|Types of Employment Contract and Employment
Obligations of the Employer throughout the Employment Contract
Protection of Women Workers
Termination of the Employment Contract with Just Cause
Amicable Ways of Settlement in Collective Labour Disputes
|Insurance law, maritime law, new technologies and insurance law, autonomy and insurance law, reinsurance law
|Double tax treaties
Value added tax
Applications are accepted via online form: https://gradapp.ku.edu.tr/login.php
only private law PhD applications will be accepted
Deadline: 31 August 2018
Written Exam and Interviews: 10 September 2018
For information on the application procedure (including questions on exam requirements and scholarships), please contact: